The Chain Bridge is a 19th century suspension bridge which spans the Danube River connecting the Pest and Buda sides of the city. The Chain Bridge was the first permanent bridge crossing the Danube in Budapest. Before that people had to use a ferry or go as far as Vienna for the nearest bridge!
One of Budapest's greatest landmarks is this beautiful church which stands on the Pest side of the city. The church construction was completed in 1906 having taken 50 years to build. The long construction period accounts for the eclectic style of the architecture. The design was based on drawings by Jozsef Hild and later Miklos Ybl.
The Central or Great Market Hall in Budapest was originally constructed in 1897. It is located on the bank of the Danube in Fovam Square near the Liberty Bridge. The market building was designed by Samu Pecz and is the largest indoor market in the city. The building has a colorful orange brick façade and a brightly tiled roof.
The governing powers of Hungary are housed in the third largest parliament building in the world. A competition was held to find a suitable design for the building and it was won by Imre Steindl who completed the building in 1904. His design was inspired by the English House of Parliament.
The ornate Opera House is designed in the Neo-Renaissance style and is located on elegant Andrassy Avenue. The building was designed by Miklos Ybl for the Millennium celebrations of 1900. It took 9 years to build and was completed in 1884. The sumptuous design includes 7kg of gold used in the decoration and hundreds of statues.
As a bastion this site should be more defensive than decorated but that is not the case. The ornate terraces were part of constructions made between 1895 and 1902 in celebration of the state's 1000th anniversary. At the time the terraces were intended as observation points for looking out across the magnificent views.Tour
This church is also known as the church of Our Lady or Nagyboldogasszony Templom. It is located in the Buda Castle District by the Fisherman's Bastion. It was originally built in 1255 and named after King Matthias Corvinus who reigned 1458-90 and was married here twice. The church underwent many renovations, additions and changes over the past 500 years.
Budapest's largest public square was created in 1896 to mark the 1,000 anniversary of the country's birth. The impressive square is located at the end of Andrassy Avenue and next to City Park. The neo-classical buildings of the Museum of Fine Art and the Kunsthalle (Hall of Art) can be seen on the edges of the square.
This zoo in the heart of Budapest is open from May to August. It is one of the oldest zoos in the world and dates back to the 1820s but due to the 1848-9 Revolution and the War of Independence the zoo only opened its gates in 1866. Over the years the zoo has been home to several rare species.
The Dohany Street Synagogue, Central Synagogue, Tabakgasse Synagogue or the Budapest Great Synagogue is the largest synagogue in Europe and the second largest in the world. The synagogue was designed by Ludwig Forster and completed in 1859 to service the 30,000 Jewish residence of Pest.
Gellert Hill rises 140 meters above Budapest overlooking the Danube River, the hill is the site of several points of interest and is also a great place to get a panoramic view across the city. The hill is named after Bishop Gellert Sagredo who is credited with bringing Christianity to Hungary.
The Communists ruled Hungary from 1949 to 1989 and during that period the city of Budapest was adorned with many patriotic Soviet oriented statues. Statues of Soviet leaders, Soviet symbols and heroic busts could be seen throughout the city.